In 2008, a little self-published minicomics made some big noise. Its drawing, handsome and graceful, explored some narrative mode that called enough attention for making people able to follow the name of Lisa Hanawalt.
Some awful jokes, some anthropomorphic animals creatures, an amazing sense of detail and some nonesuch tone : all ingredients were mustered for checking her work closely, and various awards that she won with each new book made this young talented author quickly projected on the front of the alternative comics stage.
Born in California in 83, UCLA graduated, Lisa Hanawalt lives today in Brooklyn, NY, where she’s producing tons of illustrations (among many others things) for The NY Times, NY Times Magazine, Bloomberg Businessweek, Saveur, Lucky Peach Magazine, Vanity Fair, The Hairpin, Glamour, The Tornante Company, Chronicle Books, Poketo, Vice Magazine, McSweeney’s, The Believer, Motion Theory, Teefury…
- “My Dirty Dumb Eyes”, Drawn and Quarterly, 2013.
- “Benny’s Brigade”, avec Arthur Bradford, McSweeney’s McMullens, 2012.
- “Farts Around the World: A Spotter’s Guide”, avec August O’Phwinn, Chronicle Books, 2011.
- “I Want You” #2, Pigeon Press, 2010.
- “I Want You” #1, Buenaventura Press, 2009.
- “Stay Away From Other People”, 2008.